Monday 26 May 2014

Armchair BEA: Introduction

Logo design by Amber of Shelf Notes 

Every year, I watch in envy as other book bloggers and Librarians post about the amazing conferences they're attending.

This year, thanks to the lovely people over on Armchair BEA I get to join them. And I don't even have to leave my (very comfy) computer chair.

So, as part of the conference, here's a little bit about me.




1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from?



My name is Semoy. I'm a Library Assistant II from the beautiful twin island republic of Trinidad and Tobago. I'm new to book blogging, but I've been posting my thoughts online for years in various places. Frankly, I got into it because I love talking about what I'm reading, dreaming about the characters who live within its pages, moaning about all the books I WISH I were reading and connecting with others who have had books influence their lives as much as they have mine.


2. What genre do you read the most?



Since I run a school library, I find that most of the books I read are Young Adult novels. Within the YA demographic, I read everything from romance to fantasy to adventure to mystery: but keep me far FAR away from the horror novels, please. I like my sleep too much!

Why I love to read should be a difficult question, but I've thought about it for long enough that I know the simple truth. I read because it gives me the opportunity to walk the path unchosen. To live a life I'd never known. To experience others' hardships and learn from them- all without having to go through the pain myself. I love to read because it prepares me for the life I choose to live- by exposing me to so many others.


3. What was your favourite book read last year? What’s your favourite book so far this year?



Last year, it was John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, followed closely by Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why. This year, it's an impossible-to-choose four-way tie among Tammara Webber's Easy, Marissa Meyer's Cress, Jenny Han's To All the Boys I've Loved Before and John Green's Paper Towns. Such great characters, such poignant writing!


4. What does your favorite/ideal reading space look like?



My ideal library, you say? Take a look over here! It even includes a bookish dog bed (reading with company who won't interrupt you to talk about other things is the BEST)


5. Describe your blog in just one sentence. Then, list your social details



My blog is irregularly updated and covers- or will cover- general library topics- not just the books I've read (although they do make up a large portion of it). You can also connect with me on Twitter: @livingsevlives

5 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, Semoy. I LOVE the reading spaces you've pinned - wow! Definitely dream-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Belle! Those spaces are gorgeous. They just make me want to roll around in them and smell all the books. LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh how I would love to visit Trinidad & Tobaggo. How bout we trade and you come to Canada?! ;-)
    Great to meet you, I love your taste in books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada? Sure! I've always wanted to visit Winnipeg, Manitoba. ;)

      (Fun fact: I once really wanted to go to the University of Toronto. Looking back, I have no idea why...)

      Delete
    2. I live closer to Toronto than Winnipeg. Actually an hour away.

      Delete