Wednesday 4 June 2014

Movie Review: The Fault in Our Stars

Sometimes, I come out of the cinema and I'm just blabbering about what I just saw. The highs and lows, the good and the bad.

The Fault in Our Stars, like the book it was based on, left me in a very different state. Sobbing. Unable- and frankly unwilling- to talk about what I'd just seen. It's bee a little less than an hour, and I still don't really want to talk about it.

But I will anyway.

The Fault movie was brilliantly done. As a movie it can stand on its own, but there's one problem with movies based on books: there's just so much that they need to cut out because of budget, time and casting constraints, plus the need to keep the storylines compact and moving. So sure- I missed what was cut out. But missing was only a brief pang before I was swept back into the story. It was great alone, but knowing what happens behind- and in between- the scenes just made it that much better.

This movie was brilliant, moving, and I was right to bring something bulky along to soak up my tears and quiet the blubbering. For those who have read the book: remember the Anne Frank house? Well, let's just say that I have a new appreciation for the darkness and anonymity of the cinema. You don't want to know what happened when the gas station scene came on.

Worried the movie will ruin the book? That the cast doesn't line up with what's in your head? Think that Shailene and Ansel look too healthy in the trailers to be cancer kids?

Go see it anyway. You won't regret it. I know I didn't. And I'll be seeing it again.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes you did, and you were right. I was never so glad before that you were right.
      I'm going to go flip through the book and see which chapters/ scenes were cut now.

      Delete