Wednesday 16 April 2014

REVIEW: To All the Boys I've Loved Before- Jenny Han

Overview (Courtesy of Amazon)


What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them…all at once?

Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren’t love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she’s written. One for every boy she’s ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean’s love life goes from imaginary to out of control.



My Thoughts


There are books that make you laugh. Books that make you want to cry. Books that make you want to fling it at the nearest wall.

To All The Boys is all of the above.

Lara Jean is basically a good girl in a school where good girls remain invisible. It's kind of hard to maintain that, though, when her private thoughts get mailed out and suddenly these guys are looking at her differently. Of course she doesn't handle it in the best possible way (and why should she- she's just a teenager) and it made me want to scream exactly what to do to get herself out of this mess. But Jenny Han delivers such a well-structured tale, I quickly forgot myself and was won over to Lara Jean's side- even if sometimes even she didn't know what that was. She made me laugh, she made me want to scream, and her family dynamic- especially the relationship with her older sister- felt so familiar that reading this book almost felt like coming home.

Frankly, I couldn't put it down until her tale had ended. And even when it did, it still wasn't enough.

So it's a very good thing it isn't really over.

This is book 1 in a proposed duology, so don't go in expecting all those loose ends to be wrapped up nice and tight with a silver ribbon. There's still a lot to this story, and I can't wait to see what Jenny Han- and Lara Jean- have to say when "P.S. I Still Love You" comes out next year.

2 comments:

  1. This book looks so good! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds hilarious, and you made me even more excited to read it. I love it when characters have well-developed relationships with family members. I'm glad you liked this one, and I hope I do too!

    ReplyDelete