Wednesday 12 March 2014

The evils of popular fiction


I am not a fan of the Twilight series. In fact, I have spent quite a lot of time poking fun at the books and wallowing in its faults with others who dislike it. However, I do recognise that many do not share my opinion- and it is not my place to tell people what they can and cannot read. So, at a book fair held by a colleague some time ago, I purchased two Twilight graphic novels for the school's collection. And I am glad of it. In fact, I am absurdly proud of my entire collection of popular fiction: some of which may raise eyebrows with some of the more conservative members of my school community.

You see, yesterday, one of my Form 2 students checked out Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Others have repeatedly checked out Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion and non-fiction texts on Caribbean, Greek and Roman mythology. One of my Form 1 students, in fact, just completed a book of poetry.

There is one student in particular that this topic brings to mind. When she first came here, she insisted that "big books" were not for her, and she only wanted small books (and by small she meant less than 120 pages). I didn't stop her. I didn't argue with her (much) about the need to widen out. But I did talk a lot with her about the stories behind other, larger other books in the library. Books that her classmates loved to pieces. Now she checks out books with 300, 400 pages and more- and I couldn't be prouder. Not because she's willing to read longer, more intricate stories, but because she's enjoying them.

I love popular fiction for the same reason others may scrutinise it. Sure, Twilight doesn't express the ideals that we would like our sisters, nieces, daughters to emulate. But it will get her into a place where she can find out about girls like Katniss Everdeen. Elizabeth Bennet. Hazel Grace Lancaster. Girls who lived lives they never may, but faced situations and conflicts that they may face themselves- and emerged stronger for it. They may start off pining over a lack of Edward Cullen in their lives, but being in the library will expose them to conversations about the classical male characters that may have influenced his creation. Popular fiction is popular because it inspires talk and discussion. Discussion that opens doorways to other- sometimes better- reading material.

Popular fiction attracts attention. It brings my students into the library- and keeps them coming. It opens their imagination, teaches them to look beyond their own world view. Helps them learn lessons and develop tools that they dearly need to face today's world. But to me, the best part of popular fiction it that it gets them reading- and keeps them reading.

1 comment:

  1. That's good that you could look past your distaste for the series knowing that it would definitely be a doorway into getting those teens to read other books as well. =)

    ReplyDelete